Tuesday 21 December 2010

Time to ice the Christmas cake and time to collapse

I've always been the same, I can keep on going, but as soon as I stop I collapse with some horrible flu like lurgy. Only I wish it wouldn't happen in my holidays. I have plans to see friends who are not seen enough, to visit quaint Devonshire towns and villages packed with seasonal goodies. However, instead I am either in bed or on the sofa with the flu and a chest infection. But I can be thankful for lovely parents-in-law who are taking good care of me and my husband who is also suffering.

My husband and I have been able to take the Christmas break with family in Devon, a chance to get away from the Big Smoke. And now that I am capable at most of typing this, I am glad that I had gotten everything else done and ready for Christmas. The presents were already bought and have since been wrapped, some were homemade foodie gifts, the house has been cleaned and prepared with lots of lovely chocolates to be discovered for when we return before new year and the Grandmother's Christmas Cake has been iced!

I've been looking forward to icing the Grandmother's Christmas Cake from Vanessa Kimbell's recipe book 'Prepped' since I tested the recipe at the beginning of November. Each week I have fed the cake with brandy, and have basked in the clove aroma as I have lifted off the lid. Knowing that we would be in Devon for Christmas and that I could have my fill of my Father's own delicious Christmas cake I decided to ice mine in time to have some friends around before the trip down south. So last Wednesday we enjoyed a nice cup of tea with this (if I don't mind saying so myself) deliciously moist, rich and dark Christmas cake. Now I can't wait for when we return and can have some more.
This was the second cake I have decorated, the first being my Hubba's 30th birthday cake, and it is the first Chirstmas cake I have decorated. I really enjoyed doing this, it wasn't too stressful and didn't take too long either.
As you can probably see from the photo's it is a tall cake (too much mix for the tin!), but this has just meant that there is more cake to each slice - yum! However, it did make it a little tricky to smooth out the excess icing around the edge of the cake -  another reason to use a wide ribbon. I decided to roll the marzipan quite thin as I only wanted the flavour to complement the cake and icing rather than overpowering it.
To create the shooting star and central star motifs I used pastry cutters that I bought the day before, and found that brushing the place to adhere them with just water, rather than Gin or Vodka, was sufficient.

You may remember that I plan on cooking through a book, well I intend on doing this in the new year and I plan on studying through Proverbs 31, to look at what the Truly Good Woman of the 21st century is.

I pray you are all well for the Christmas celebrations, with any preparations still to be done and for time spent with friends and family.

Isaiah 9:6 

6 For to us a child is born, 

   to us a son is given, 
   and the government will be on his shoulders. 
And he will be called 
   Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, 
   Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

4 comments:

{Love, Love, Love} said...

Hope you feel better, soon, my lovely. The cake looks totally amazing! Have a lovely Christmas xxxxxx

Liz said...

Thank you my sweet. I'm over the worst now, so we're hoping all is good by the w'end. Wishing you a lovely Christmas too. xxxxxx

Unknown said...

Oh Liz .. you and I both.. I've been so ill. Just as I finish the book too .. how typical the first time i've had off in 6 months and I go down with a winter flu. NOT FAIR !

The Cake looks just amazing !! I feel very privileged indeed to be part of your christmas!

May you have a truly wonderful celebration.

Vanessa

Vintage Tea Time said...

Happy Christmas to you! The cake looks wonderful - well done! Abby